This Memorable Day

James A. Donald jamesd at echeque.com
Wed Nov 3 11:11:56 PST 2004

     --
  Peter Gutmann wrote:
> Well it wasn't the point I was trying to make, which was comparing
> it to predictions made by (the propaganda division of) another
> super-power in the mid 1940s about winning an unwinnable war because
> God/righteousness/whatever was on their side, and all they had to do
> was hold out a bit longer.  Compare the general tone of the WSJ
> article to the one in e.g. the first half of
> http://www.humanitas-international.org/showcase/chronography/documen
> ts/htestmnt.htm.

But it is hardly a matter of "holding out".  So far the Pentagon has
shattered the enemy while suffering casualties of about a thousand,
which is roughly the same number of casualties as the British empire
suffered doing regime change on the Zulu empire - an empire of a
quarter of a million semi naked savages mostly armed with spears.

As quagmires go, this one has not yet got shoelaces muddy.  The
enemies are the one's that have heroic fantasies of holding out
against hopeless odds, as for example Fallujah.  The question is not
whether the terrorists keep Falljah, but merely whether Pentagon gets
a city or a pile of rubble.

     --digsig
          James A. Donald
      9M6CeBC9wwBisQe3JNJvnnu758kvx8Rq2e2KM9b2
      41XkwhnPAbRy29/XaMnNedLxI40PWmNEk4y2tUdn7