The Fingerprint As Password

Jack Lloyd lloyd at randombit.net
Fri May 21 12:50:31 PDT 2004

a) Why do I have the feeling that there is no way to tell which password a
piece of software is asking for when you thumb it. Does the host machine get
all of them and figure out which one it wants to use?

b) How hard is it to bypass the check and simply pull the complete set of
passwords out of it's memory. My guess it "not too fucking hard."

At $50 a piece, they can't have spent too much (if any) on tamper-resitance,
security review, etc. Anyone know how much cheap thumb scanner hardware goes
for in bulk these days?

-Jack

On Fri, May 21, 2004 at 03:26:15PM -0400, R. A. Hettinga wrote:
> There's one born every minute, boys and girls.
>
> We should take bets on when the first digital robbery occurs spoofing the
> output of one of these things.
>
> Cheers,
> RAH
> --------