[ISN] Safe and insecure

Major Variola (ret) mv at cdc.gov
Wed May 19 12:11:55 PDT 2004

At 12:06 PM 5/19/04 -0400, R. A. Hettinga wrote:
>--- begin forwarded text
>
>http://www.salon.com/tech/feature/2004/05/18/safe_and_insecure/index.html

>By Micah Joel
>May 18, 2004
>
>Last week, I turned off all the security features of my wireless
>router. I removed WEP encryption, disabled MAC address filtering and

>So why am I doing this? In a word, privacy. By making my Internet

Plausible deniability its called.

There's also the 802.11b freenet movements, a serious
experiment/implementation
of free access.  (Some perhaps are facetious but some are real.)

You could fly a flag of the warchalking symbol.  Or put a decal on
your window.  As evidence of your freenet intent.

Practically, you could buy another AP, set it up "secure",
and use that for your own access.

Not a bad recycling of old .11b-only APs, setting up free hotspots.
Interference should be small, even if your parallel, secured AP system
(which probably
supports more modern cards/protocols/bands) has
to drop down to the same .11b that your freenet uses.

Its also a bit of a honeypot and sniffer.  Its like putting an extension

of your phone on the street, limited to free local calls only, but
obviously
capable of recording all calls.   (A rather interesting
art/experiment..)

Could lead to trouble before the trial though.  Like being an anon email

endpoint.

YMMV.  IANAL.