Shoulder surfing for passwords by ear

Sunder sunder at sunder.net
Thu May 13 06:32:40 PDT 2004

Hmmm, sounds like we now need keystroke sound jammers.  Shouldn't be too
hard to implement if you have a good random noise generator, but it could
get annoying if you play white/pink noise while a password prompt pops up.

Of course, there's still the issue of the pinhole camera in the ceiling
tiles aimed at your keyboard, but that's old hat. :)

I wonder if different users hit the keys in a different enough way to make
any difference...

http://searchsecurity.techtarget.com/originalContent/0,289142,sid14_gci963348,00.html

'Whispering keyboards' could be next attack trend
By Niall McKay, Contributing Writer
11 May 2004 | SearchSecurity.com

OAKLAND -- Listen to this: Eavesdroppers can decipher what is typed by
simply listening to the sound of a keystroke, according to a scientist at
this week's IEEE Symposium of Security and Privacy in Oakland, Calif.

Each key on computer keyboards, telephones and even ATM machines makes a
unique sound as each key is depressed and released, according to a paper
entitled "Keyboard Acoustic Emanations" presented Monday by IBM research
scientist Dmitri Asonov.

All that is needed is about $200 worth of microphones and sound processing
and PC neural networking software.

Today's keyboard, telephone keypads, ATM machines and even door locks have
a rubber membrane underneath the keys.

"This membrane acts like a drum, and each key hits the drum in a different
location and produces a unique frequency or sound that the neural
networking software can decipher," said Asonov.

<SNIP>