[linux-elitists] Two on RFID from Politech: Hack the tech, & Gilmore's dystopia

Karsten M. Self kmself at ix.netcom.com
Mon May 10 01:23:07 PDT 2004

RFID has been in the news and play recently.  I even heard a somewhat
informed discussion on KQED's "California XXX" Saturday.

The first article covers John Gilmore's dystopian view of RFID.  Imagine
being able to create weapons which indipendently target specific IDs.
This sort of activity is hard to hack.  It's also a partial _current_
reality:

  - OBL was tracked, according to reports, via his satellite phone,
    until he became aware of this, and stopped using same (possibly even
    sending it on a distracting separate track from himself for a time).

  - More locally, militia movements which had used anonymous phone cards
    to make "untraceable" phone calls instead were tracked on the basis
    of traffic analysis.  While a given card wasn't allocated to an
    individual, it was identifiable by account, and could be flagged for
    monitoring if it called other numbers of known interest.

I'm sure that states such as, say, Israel, would have a significant
interest in munitions having characteristics described by Gilmore.

The second covers a "hacking the system" concept.  I'd considered
something similar myself, though different in approach.  Rather than
finding RFID chips and "redistributing" them, why not create
programmable RFID broadcasters which could spoof other chips, and
distribute these.  The idea being to pollute any RFID detectors with a
vast spew of superfluous data.

There are a couple of implications here which are pretty clear.  Many of
us carry a set of identifyable broadcast appliances already, and this
will increase.  These signatures are difficult to mask.  The more likely
response will be to find these signatures, and to the extent they're
broadcastable, clone them and distribute them more widely (specific
seeding).  This will make the specific signatures less reliable for
either legitimate or illegitimate use.

At the same time, legitimate business uses of RFID monitoring will
probably be highly specific in their focus on data interest.  There's
simply going to be too much data floating around, most of it not
interesting, to be able to work with reasonably.  This would be further
encouraged by seeding of noise data closely resembling legitimate keys.

Predictability of RFID sequences, and known legit or covert use of data
will be key in determining both utility and countermeasure activities
concerning RFID.

    ----- Forwarded message from Declan McCullagh <declan at well.com> -----