DoD advisor advocates piracy

Trei, Peter ptrei at rsasecurity.com
Wed Mar 31 11:14:42 PST 2004

No, seriously.
...the 'Yo Ho Ho' kind, that is.

Peter Trei
-----------

http://epw.senate.gov/hearing_statements.cfm?id=219545

<quote>
U.S. Senate Committee on Environment & Public Works
Hearing Statements
Date:   03/24/2004

Statement of Peter Leitner
Author
Reforming the Law of the Sea Treaty
Oversight hearing to examine the
"United Nations Convention on the Law of the Sea".

[...]
I am appearing before you today as a private citizen and author. Although I
am a Senior Strategic Trade Advisor in the Office of the Secretary of
Defense my views and statements are my own and do not represent the views of
the Department or the U.S. government.

[massive snippage]

Additionally, I would suggest that the US may be well served by resurrecting
the historic use of Letters of Marque in both the war on Terrorism and the
protection of our coastal environment. It is obvious that the Federal
government is facing many simultaneous missions that take precedence over
traditional offshore environmental protection activities. This necessary
overextension, arising from the war on terror, results in shortages of
vessels and crews required for environmental patrols. Letters of Marque,
last used during the War of 1812, effectively enabled privateers to destroy
the Barbary Pirates and is a concept whose time has come, again! American
Fishermen and merchant seamen idled by quotas, regulation, and predatory
foreign competition can be mobilized to patrol the marine environment. They
can also be authorized to seize terrorist assets and provide material
assistance to the families of Americans victimized by terrorism awarded
punitive damages by US courts. Such modern-day Privateers would be legally
deputized to act as agents of the US Courts, the President, Congress, or
State Governors to protect the environment or fight terrorism by depriving
terrorists of their economic assets.
[...]
</quote>