Liquid Natural Flatulence

John Kelsey kelsey.j at ix.netcom.com
Tue Mar 30 21:28:10 PST 2004

>Anyway, about a decade ago, Distrigas, the company that owns the
>facility in question, ran several *military* -- not law-enforcement
>- -- anti-terrorism scenarios to see exactly what would be needed to
>take the place out. What I've heard, albeit second-hand, is that in
>order to get a useful amount of that halfway-to-absolute-zero natural
>gas actually *flammable*, much less explosive, someone would have to
>ring the whole tank with a *huge* amount of explosives themselves,

I'm no big fan of science by press release, but when's the last time you
heard of anyone saying "Well, we looked at our security situation, and two
teenagers with bottle rockets could set this thing off.  That's why the CEO
has decided to move out of town."  The usual response after you've pointed
out a devastating attack on someone's system is "yeah, but who'd think of
that" or "but you're being unrealistic--real attackers will do this other
thing (that we just happen to have defended against) instead."

--John Kelsey, kelsey.j at ix.netcom.com
PGP: FA48 3237 9AD5 30AC EEDD  BBC8 2A80 6948 4CAA F259