The Gilmore Dimissal

Harmon Seaver hseaver at cybershamanix.com
Tue Mar 30 14:08:12 PST 2004

On Tue, Mar 30, 2004 at 12:44:02PM -0800, Eric Cordian wrote:

> Bill Stewart wrote:
>
> >          Marbury vs. Madison was an entertainingly kinky case,
> >          but the ability of judges to declare laws or executive actions
> >          Unconstitutional and therefore void is the main thing that's
> >          made the Bill of Rights effective (to the extent it has been.)
> >          The courts have often failed in that duty, but it's rightly theirs.
>
> >          The alternative would be that the Constitution means
> >          whatever the executive branch of government says it means,
> >          and whatever the legislature says it means, ...
>
> I believe that the intent of the Founding Fathers was that an armed
> populace would be familiar with the letter of the Constitution, and
> tolerate no creative reinterpretation of it by any of the three branches
> of Guv'mint.

   Yas, yas, yas -- and the only place we can see this being enacted is in
Venezuela, where more people carry copies of their Constitution than carry the
bible, and not only carry it, but know it by heart. How ironic that a leftist
movement brought this about.

> One of the nice things about ignorance is that it is curable.  Unlike
> Neo-Conservatism.

   Or politicians in general. I'll alway remember a professor correcting me when
I said something about some pol being "so stupid", and he responded: "Don't ever
think that they are stupid, they aren't stupid -- stupid people can be taught,
they can be persuaded with facts -- these people aren't stupid, they are venal,
they are evil."

--
Harmon Seaver
CyberShamanix