Anonymizer employees need killing

Lance Cottrell lcottrell at anonymizer.com
Sat Mar 27 21:13:42 PST 2004

I hope at this point the retractions by the Register have been well
circulated. Just to make it absolutely clear, we have never and never
will sell out a customer. This is simply shoddy reporting at its worst.

A blog first reported this months ago as "an anonymizer" which was then
picked up as "The Anonymizer" in some articles, which then printed
corrections. In fact the company involved was Surfola which is not
connected to us in any way shape or form (and which I had never even
heard of before this).

Months later the Register picked up on an old uncorrected version of
the story and printed it without any fact checking at all. This is a
shocking breach of editorial responsibility.

I would have hoped that my years of working on free open source privacy
tools (such as Mixmaster) before founding Anonymizer would lend my
reputation some weight, or at least give me the benefit of the doubt
until the matter was clarified. I am deeply troubled to see death
threats against my employees (and I would assume myself) without anyone
taking the trouble to even ask us to comment.

It has always been easy to contact me directly, next time I hope
someone will do so before assuming the worst.

	-Lance