expiring bearer documents

Major Variola (ret) mv at cdc.gov
Fri Mar 26 10:14:59 PST 2004

At 08:10 AM 3/26/04 -0500, R. A. Hettinga wrote:
>At 9:48 PM -0800 3/25/04, Major Variola (ret) wrote:
>>This recently occurred to me.  There is a type of bearer document
>>which is exactly like cash (anonymous, finder's keepers/spenders)
>>*except*
>>that it expires.  Its called a concert ticket.

>Remember the *asset* is held in bearer *form*. There are no accounts
>required to execute/clear/settle the transaction. However a

The point is that the asset (a performance) which the bearer-document
(ticket) grants access to expires.  I think that's actually orthogonal
to the
ticket itself expiring.

Another example with a more gradual loss of value
might be a bearer document for a certain amount
of short half-life radioactive substance.   Or just the
substance --no documents, just assets-- though that's
less portable than gold for health reasons.

I suppose that some foodstuffs also show halflives.

And, like a 10 year treasury note, appreciate with age.