corporate vs. state

mfidelman at ntcorp.com mfidelman at ntcorp.com
Fri Mar 26 04:04:00 PST 2004

On 26 Mar 2004, Frog wrote:

> Harmon Seaver wrote:
>
> >  If a "voluntary association" injures me,
>
> Associations - corporate or otherwise - are abstract, intangible
> entities.  They don't perform actions.  People do.

Corporations act as "legal persons" - they can enter into contracts, own
assetts, sue people, etc.

The problem emerges when a corporation enters into battle with an
individual - it's pretty hard to fight a lawsuit when the "person" on the
other side of the table has billions of dollars, thousands of lawyers, and
is willing and able to protract the battle over dozens of years.  It's
even worse when your opponent has the resources to lobby to change laws.

Can you say RIAA?