Saving Opportunistic Encryption

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Wed Mar 17 01:16:58 PST 2004

On Tue, Mar 16, 2004 at 03:29:42PM +0800, Sandy Harris wrote:

> >So, the apparent solution for me seems to be the approach that the SPAM
> >blacklists used - publish information in a subspace of the forward DNS
> >space instead of using the authoritative in-addr.arpa area.
> >
> Worth discussing at least.

No, anything requiring publishing DNS records won't fly. OE is
*opportunistic*. It doesn't care about what the true identity of the opposite
party is. Any shmuck on dynamic IP should be able to use it instantly, with
no observable performance degradation, using a simple patch.

If it doesn't fit these minimal requirements, it will die, just the same way
FreeS/WAN did.