Return of the homebrew coder

Major Variola (ret) mv at cdc.gov
Sun Mar 14 10:15:08 PST 2004

At 10:11 AM 3/14/04 -0500, R. A. Hettinga wrote:
>Return of the homebrew coder
>
>BEFORE Henry Ford unleashed the practice of mass production on the
world,
>every little town had a few dozen artisans who made the lives of
citizens
>easier.

Software is also still in the "craft" stage where the designers actually
do the
building, in some cases.  Know any architects that can handle an
automatic
nailer?

The article doesn't address the real reason that lone software artisans
(and small software businesses) can still exist: there are niches too
small for Microsoft,
not sexy enough for a squad of Open Source Gooncoders to replicate your
work for free.

Life in the 21st century feels like being a proto-mammal 65Mya, do not
get squashed by the monster lizards nor noticed by the hungry others.
Small, quick, furry, that's us.  Sometimes it gets cold, the lizards
can't move
fast enough, so we eat them.  Last two sentences sound like something Al
could say :-)