I'd recognise that ear, anywhere

R. A. Hettinga rah at shipwright.com
Tue Mar 9 21:52:34 PST 2004

<http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/55/36106.html>

The Register

I'd recognise that ear, anywhere
By Lucy Sherriff

 Never mind retinal scans, finger printing or facial recognition: we'll
have our ears on a national database, soon.

 Boffins at the University of Leicester, working with K9 Forensic Services,
have developed a computerised ear image and ear print identification
system. Their technology is capable of recognising partial earprints and
images

Professor Guy Rutty, head of the forensic pathology unit at the university,
said the technology "may ultimately allow the development of a system
similar to that of the national finger print system which is used for the
identification of individuals by police forces across the world".

The human ear is a particularly difficult biometric to track, because it is
flexible and deforms under pressure. Several organisations are researching
the field, and in 2003 the EU launched a three-year investigation into the
feasibility of using ear prints for criminal identification. reg;

--
44 Farquhar Street, Boston, MA 02131 USA