Earthlink to Test Caller ID for E-Mail

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Sat Mar 6 04:14:26 PST 2004

On Sat, Mar 06, 2004 at 08:24:09PM +1300, Peter Gutmann wrote:
> "R. A. Hettinga" <rah at shipwright.com> writes:
>
> >If we really do get cryptographic signatures on email in a way that works,
> >expect 80% of all spam to be blown away as a matter of course.
>
> I think you mean:
>
>   If we really do get cryptographic signatures on email in a way that
works,
>   expect 80% of all spam to contain legit signatures from hacked PCs.

"A way that works" would involve passphrase-locked keyrings, and forgetful
MUAs (this mutt only caches the passphrase for a preset time).

Filtering for signed/vs. unsigned mail doesn't make sense, authenticating
and whitelisting known senders by digital signature makes very good sense.

Of course, this doesn't help with people you don't yet know. Would work well
with prioritizing mail if taken together with other modes of filtering,
though.