FLA to use fingerprint scanners on schoolbusses

Major Variola (ret.) mv at cdc.gov
Thu Mar 4 08:51:20 PST 2004

The Pinellas school system is ready to approve a new technology that
uses student fingerprints to keep track of who is riding school buses.

Beginning in the fall, the fingerprint system would identify students as
they board and leave. The goal is to ensure they are getting on the
right bus and getting off at the right stop.

School officials say the $2-million project will save money and
dramatically improve safety for students, whose fingerprints will serve
as authorization to board and disembark.

If the School Board approves the proposal March 9, Pinellas will become
one of four Florida school districts in the process of implementing
Global Positioning Systems with a student-tracking system.

"This is Management 101 in transportation. Now we will have good,
factual information that we can use in a very timely manner to make our
services as good as humanly possible," said Terry Palmer, the district's
transportation director.

But some parents and national organizations are concerned about the
implications of fingerprinting 45,000 bus riders, some as young as 5.

"This is probably a really good idea, but in my mind it was just this
terrible feeling, like they're watching my kids wherever they go," said
Nancy McKibben, mother of three teenagers at Palm Harbor University High
School and president of the school's PTSA.

Critics say programs of this nature raise significant privacy concerns
and teach students at a young age to accept what amounts to a "Big
Brother" surveillance society.

"We are conditioning these children to understand that they have no
personal space, no personal privacy," said Barry Steinhardt, director of
the American Civil Liberties Union's Program on Technology and Liberty.

<snip>
http://www.sptimes.com/2004/02/28/Tampabay/Have_your_thumb_ready.shtml