[Users] Announce: FreeS/WAN Project Ending

Justin justin-cypherpunks at soze.net
Mon Mar 1 18:31:29 PST 2004

> From: Claudia Schmeing <claudia at coldstream.ca>
> Subject: [Users] Announce: FreeS/WAN Project Ending
>
> Dear FreeS/WAN community,
>
> After more than five years of active development, the FreeS/WAN
> project will be coming to an end.

Is anyone disappointed?  Is anyone surprised?

FreeS/WAN garroted itself by refusing to take code contributions from
people inside the U.S., out of fear that the BXA would retroactively
change export policy and render those contributions poisonous.

FreeS/WAN made no serious attempt to integrate with the linux kernel's
routing infrastructure, no doubt due in part to the first issue above.

FreeS/WAN configuration was, and probably still is, not very intuitive;
diagnostics were and probably are similarly poor.

Corporations, the major users of VPNs, usually use dedicated vpn boxes
with support from a commercial VPN provider.  If any such providers base
their VPN products on FreeS/WAN, it's probably heavily modified.

--
That woman deserves her revenge, and... we deserve to die.  -Budd, Kill Bill