Gentlemen reading mail part II (opsec review)

Major Variola (ret) mv at cdc.gov
Mon Mar 1 10:01:59 PST 2004

At 09:46 AM 3/1/04 -0500, Tyler Durden wrote:
>I guess my basic question is, is there a subset of counter-surveillance

>actions that can be taken that, while not ensuring secure
communications,
>forces eavesdropping parties to take 'radical' measures in order to
obtain
>the desired information?

Sunder's suggestion of introducing information and watching for their
response is good, though the Adversary will not respond if they're
smart and they're watching you for something more important.

(What was that Brit town sacrificed so the Germans wouldn't know
the codes were broken?  Starts with "C"...)

In order to avoid places with ears (and "homeless" people with
directional
mics, see _Enemy of the State_) go to a park that you haven't been to
before.  And perform the usual CI driving maneuvres (see that Tomlinson
book _The Big Breach_ for a description.. lets just say that a few
sudden right turns can be useful) on the way.

Or perhaps given GPS gizmos, take a bus.  Leave your cell phone at home,

or better, send it through the mail (left on) to yourself :-)

------
Only amateurs attack machines; professionals target people.
Bruce Schneier

The ultimate in paranoia is not when everyone is against you but
when everything is against you.  P.K.Dick