SciAm: The Mystery of the Voynich Manuscript

Jim Dixon jdd at dixons.org
Tue Jun 29 11:02:50 PDT 2004

On Sun, 27 Jun 2004, R. A. Hettinga wrote:

> characters of Voynichese into Roman letters. An example from folio 78R of
> the manuscript reads: qokedy qokedy dal qokedy qokedy. This degree of
> repetition is not found in any known language.

Arabic (my transliteration of what I was taught, may actually be Dari):
  "lah ilahah ilahlah muhammed ur rasul allah"
(There is but one God and Muhammaed is his prophet.)

English, Gertrude Stein: "a rose is a rose is a rose".  7,320 hits on
Google, some with more roses.

--
Jim Dixon  jdd at dixons.org   tel +44 117 982 0786  mobile +44 797 373 7881
http://jxcl.sourceforge.net                       Java unit test coverage