For Liars and Loafers, Cellphones Offer an Alibi

Thomas Shaddack shaddack at ns.arachne.cz
Mon Jun 28 11:41:28 PDT 2004

On Sun, 27 Jun 2004, J.A. Terranson wrote:

> > > Even if this is doable, it is out of reach of Jane Citizen.
> >
> > If a J. Random Hacker with the necessary capabilities is within her reach,
> > the countermeasure is available to her regardless of her own tech skills.
>
> You assume that Jane's only problem is equipment procurement.  Alas,
> Jane's biggest problem has not changed much in the last 100 years:
> knowledge.  Jane doesn't know this is an issue that she might need help
> with.

We have a large unwitting helpmate: the Media. Their primary motivation is
the eyeballs, the Nielsen ratings; which can be exploited for Spreading
The Word. Technology, while difficult to understand for mere mortals,
together with its handlers, has its appeal - not entirely dissimilar to
witchcraft of the Medieval Times; see the popularity of the topic of
computer security breaches between journalists.

They will get it wrong. But Jane can be corrected; the important task for
the Media is to make her aware about the possibility and get her to ask.
At that stage, the incorrectness in the media reporting can be corrected.

If Jane becomes aware about at least a subset of the possibilities, the
Media did their job.

> > With continuing outsourcing, there should be enough out of work engineers
> > available who are sufficiently hungry to risk working for the underground
> > market.
>
> I've wondered over the last several years why such a market has not been
> more openly extant.  This thought has occurred to me many times since the
> last 70's - the stuff you want is available, but barely, even if "legal".

It's not as wide as it should be. However, it's far from nonexistant;
there are eg. alternative firmwares for DVD drives, with stripped zoning,
firmwares for cellphones with removed operator lock, and many other
goodies.

I suppose the fundamental problem here is the lack of skilled-enough
people, combined with closed technology; it's rather difficult to
disassemble a program from binary, takes a lot of time and in many cases
is impractical. Another problem is the technology the electronics is being
manufactured now: everybody can work with 2.54mm DIL chips, not everybody
can work with 0.125mm SMD chips, and only a selected few have access to
technology necessary for BGA chips. :(

This could be partially offset by some hypothetical new generation of
visual disassemblers, showing code not as an endless stream of
instructions but as a graphical representation of the execution flow,
perhaps using some tricks from atomic-level visualisation of huge and
complex biochemical structures, eg. proteins and intracellular structures.

Another hope, closer and more realistic one, is in the emergence of
smaller manufacturers, voluntarily opening their devices in the hope for
market advantage (the Linksys box mentioned here may be a good example).

The remaining problem is the hardware level. Hopefully somebody with
enough skills and a good idea appears (or perhaps already appeared) and
designs a way how to make work with the tiny chips easier for a garage
workshop; there are trends along this direction already, I saw a mention
of a reflow oven for SMD boards, made of a toaster.

Never lose hope, and never stop doing things. If you can't solder, code.
If you can't code cryptosystems, code tools. If you can't code at all,
write articles and spread awareness. If you can't even write, talk with
friends. If you don't have any suitable friends, at least read and learn
yourself. Even an otherwise meaningless act may mean a lot if it comes at
the "wrong" place and the "wrong" time.

See the "Patriot Ants" approach I mentioned couple weeks ago in the
Zombie Patriots thread.