And now, USA Today Presents a Word from Horseman #2

J.A. Terranson measl at mfn.org
Mon Jun 28 10:28:48 PDT 2004

On Mon, 28 Jun 2004, R. A. Hettinga wrote:

> Q: Can't terrorists be caught by tracing who posts their messages?
>
> A: You can track it. ... The question is, how deep can you go and how far
> can you go? Let me explain the layers. ... The first layer will be to look
> at the Web site and see the address. With the address, you can track the
> server (host computer) that is used - you can see where the Web site is
> based.

Hrmmmm... Never heard of anycast I see...

> A: Someone might ask, "Where can I find video of a Chechen slitting the
> throat of a Russian?" A few lines later, someone will answer, "Go to this
> Web site, and you'll see it."
>
> Q: People are looking for such things, then?

Yeah.  Even though this damn video is 4 years old, has made it through
Stile Project, Ogrish, etc., there are still newbies who can't find their
internet shoelaces.  This, of course, makes them potential terrorists (for
asking in the wrong place at the wrong time).

> A: Yes, and now we're coming to the speed at which things move. Once
> (terrorists' messages or video) appears somewhere, especially after an
> execution or dramatic event, within seconds it will be diffused and posted
> on other Web sites. You can find it within seconds all over the Internet.
> Even the beheading of Mr. Johnson. It was posted first on an Arab (Web)
> forum in England. But within seconds, it was also posted on American
> servers and American Web sites and then worldwide.

Survivability baby!  Lock, load, and jack in!!

--
Yours,

J.A. Terranson
sysadmin at mfn.org

  "...justice is a duty towards those whom you love and those whom you do
  not.  And people's rights will not be harmed if the opponent speaks out
  about them."

  Osama Bin Laden