Shuffling to the sound of the Morlocks' dinner bell

Justin justin-cypherpunks at soze.net
Sun Jun 27 17:31:37 PDT 2004

On 2004-06-27T17:53:05-0400, R. A. Hettinga wrote:
> <http://www.reviewjournal.com/lvrj_home/2004/Jun-27-Sun-2004/opinion/24127406.html>
>
>  I will vote for a candidate who -- if he had his way -- would [...]
>  pull us out of the deadly, illegal and unconstitutional war in Iraq;
>  and put the U.S. military back to work tracking down the real culprits
>  of Sept.  11.

Just because it's a "deadly" (what war isn't?) and "illegal" (Bush's
lawyers would take issue with that) doesn't mean the proper course of
action is to leave.  Right or wrong, we created this mess.  We now bear
some responsibility for cleaning it up.  Once everything is cleaned up,
he's right: we should leave immediately.  Have we yet fixed the pipelines
that "terrorists" have blown up because of our presence in Iraq?

>  "At which point, if we can find them, you think it would be OK to just
> kill them?" I asked the candidate last week.
>
>  "Sure," Badnarik said.
>
>  Sounds about right to me.

For some strange value of "real culprits," perhaps.  19 of the "real
culprits" are already dead, and who knows how many with some knowledge of
the attacks are already in prison.  From what I've heard about the way the
cells operated, Atta had primary control over the details of the plan.
Osama just had to approve it.  Osama probably deserves to die for his role
in various attacks, but is he a "real culprit" of 9/11?

--
"Once you knew, you'd claim her, and I didn't want that."
"Not your decision to make."