Shuffling to the sound of the Morlocks' dinner bell

Bill Stewart bill.stewart at pobox.com
Mon Jun 28 00:25:02 PDT 2004

 > Bush is so evil I'll have to vote for the lesser evil
I felt that way about Reagan in 1984, and the Libertarians were
too disorganized to convince me otherwise.
Too bad the Democrats couldn't find a better candidate than Mondale.
My vote didn't change that landslide any, but it seems to have
helped the Democrats come up with a strategy for 1988,
which was to find the lamest available candidate and
run against someone other than Reagan, but voting for Dukakis
seemed to be throwing away my vote compared to voting for Ron Paul.

Fortunately, California will presumably be voting solidly Democrat,
though they'll probably still be using untrustable computerized
voting machines which only Republicans know how to steal instead of
the traditional Democrat-friendly versions.

At 05:38 PM 6/27/2004, J.A. Terranson wrote:
>On Sun, 27 Jun 2004, Harmon Seaver wrote:
> >     My feeling is that Kerry won't be really any different,
>
>Accepted.  Kerry is possibly the single worst candidate the dems had to
>offer - and I don't think it's any accident that he made it through.
>Nevertheless, I'll take the evil untested over the evil well known and
>thoroughly despised at this point.

I'd say Jonathan Edwards was marginally worse,
but he'll probably be the VP candidate.
Howard Dean threatened to turn the Democrats back into an
actual political party again, so the Democrats, Republicans,
and so-called liberal pro-establishment press made sure to
stomp on him (and if that didn't look well-coordinated,
you weren't paying attention.)
Joe Lieberman was the best Republican running, but he's out too.

But yeah, Kerry's best feature is that he's mostly evil on his own,
rather than Bush who had his father's old cronies pushing him,
who are frankly a lot more creatively evil than Kerry or Bush.
Also, while I don't understand the reality distortion effect that
makes Republicans and conservatives believe everything Bush says
deep down in their reptile brains even when their eyes are
telling them something different, I don't think Kerry has it,
and that's a Good Thing.