For Liars and Loafers, Cellphones Offer an Alibi

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Sun Jun 27 04:37:02 PDT 2004

On Sat, Jun 26, 2004 at 10:46:53PM -0700, Major Variola (ret) wrote:
> At 12:25 AM 6/27/04 -0500, Riad S. Wahby wrote:
> >Triangluating on a non-isotropic antenna should be quite a bit
> harder...
> >

> Bingo.  Watch your sidelobes, baby.

Triangulation by signal strength is one thing, triangulation by relativistic
ToF (time of flight) -- while still not present in consumer gadgets -- is far
more difficult to fool. Especially if it's tied into the protocol, that
you're getting position fixes along with your sent packets.

UWB has such large power and spectrum usage advantages is that I expect most
mobile wireless, especialy short-range, would be UWB within a decade, or
less.