For Liars and Loafers, Cellphones Offer an Alibi

J.A. Terranson measl at mfn.org
Sat Jun 26 22:40:17 PDT 2004

On Sun, 27 Jun 2004, Thomas Shaddack wrote:

> On Sat, 26 Jun 2004, J.A. Terranson wrote:
>
> > Yes, I suppose that the more technical amongst us could selctively jam
> > only the one signal, however, cellular phones are mighty low power
> > devices, and I would not hazard a guess as to whether it would be possible
> > not to overpower the wanted signals on something like this.
>
> Not that low power. (Though we maybe just disagree on the definition of
> "low" here.

I guess I'm a little old fashioned.  To me, ~250-300mw is low power.

> > Even if this is doable, it is out of reach of Jane Citizen.
>
> If a J. Random Hacker with the necessary capabilities is within her reach,
> the countermeasure is available to her regardless of her own tech skills.

You assume that Jane's only problem is equipment procurement.  Alas,
Jane's biggest problem has not changed much in the last 100 years:
knowledge.  Jane doesn't know this is an issue that she might need help
with.

> With continuing outsourcing, there should be enough out of work engineers
> available who are sufficiently hungry to risk working for the underground
> market.

I've wondered over the last several years why such a market has not been
more openly extant.  This thought has occurred to me many times since the
last 70's - the stuff you want is available, but barely, even if "legal".

--
Yours,

J.A. Terranson
sysadmin at mfn.org

  "...justice is a duty towards those whom you love and those whom you do
  not.  And people's rights will not be harmed if the opponent speaks out
  about them."

  Osama Bin Laden