For Liars and Loafers, Cellphones Offer an Alibi

J.A. Terranson measl at mfn.org
Sat Jun 26 21:53:26 PDT 2004

On Sun, 27 Jun 2004, Thomas Shaddack wrote:

> On Sat, 26 Jun 2004, J.A. Terranson wrote:
>
> > > a mikropower jammer,
> >
> > Only if you are willing to forego the phone as well, in which case, just
> > remove the battery pack :-)
>
> I am assuming here that the phone has a dual receiver, one of the GPS
> signal and one of the cellular service itself. As both operate on
> different frequencies, it should be possible to jam one while keep the
> other's service intact.

Ahhh... My bad: I had not considered my audience when I replied :-)

Yes, I suppose that the more technical amongst us could selctively jam
only the one signal, however, cellular phones are mighty low power
devices, and I would not hazard a guess as to whether it would be possible
not to overpower the wanted signals on something like this.  Even if this
is doable, it is out of reach of Jane Citizen.

--
Yours,

J.A. Terranson
sysadmin at mfn.org

  "...justice is a duty towards those whom you love and those whom you do
  not.  And people's rights will not be harmed if the opponent speaks out
  about them."

  Osama Bin Laden