For Liars and Loafers, Cellphones Offer an Alibi

Major Variola (ret) mv at cdc.gov
Sat Jun 26 21:19:28 PDT 2004

At 06:27 PM 6/26/04 -0500, J.A. Terranson wrote:
>On Sat, 26 Jun 2004, Major Variola (ret) wrote:
>>
>> Eventually the cellphones will be able to tell another phone approx
>> where they are.  Remember the 911-locator fascism?
>
>I hate to break the news to you Major, but GPS enabled phones cannot be

>instructed to turn off the GPS feature for law enforcement queries
(e.g.,
>911).  Turn it on or turn it off, makes no matter.

Sir, I do not own a cellphone.

Do any models let YOU decide to send your location to ANOTHER
phone?   Do any models even let YOU know your OWN approx location
(to within that 100m Fedfascist standard)?

I'm fully aware the pigs track you unless the battery is removed or you
have a TEMPEST case.  I'm suggesting that regular citizens will have
access to that, if (in my cluelessness) they don't already.