For Liars and Loafers, Cellphones Offer an Alibi

Major Variola (ret) mv at cdc.gov
Sat Jun 26 16:09:44 PDT 2004

At 07:21 AM 6/26/04 -0400, R. A. Hettinga wrote:
><http://www.nytimes.com/2004/06/26/technology/26ALIB.html?th=&pagewanted=print&position=>

>The New York Times
>
>June 26, 2004
>
>For Liars and Loafers, Cellphones Offer an Alibi
>By MATT RICHTEL

Eventually the cellphones will be able to tell another phone approx
where
they are.  Remember the 911-locator fascism?  So the 'victim' would
ask the 'liar' to press a button authorizing disclosure of the approx
location.

The marketing reason would be to help people find others geographically.

But it can also be used to evidence (or not) your location.  "Look mom,
I'm *not* at the mall or Cheech's house, I'm at the library."

Of course all these locations will be in a database which performs a
kind of
latitude/longitude Name Service so Mom won't have to fire up a browser
and go to a mapping page.   GPS/911 services + wireless + inet bridging.

I wouldn't be surprised if DoCoMo wasn't working on it now..