[IP] When police ask your name, you must give it, Supreme Court says (fwd from dave at farber.net)

Justin justin-cypherpunks at soze.net
Tue Jun 22 00:04:00 PDT 2004

On 2004-06-21T22:38:01-0700, Steve Schear wrote:
> Not a problem.  Its legal to use any name you wish, including those that
> use gyphs and sounds which cannot be represented by standard Roman and
> non-Roman alphabets (as is common in some African tribes).  So, those that
> wish to avoid this data base nightmare can legally adopt name which does
> not conform.

Don't citizens have to have an english-alphabet transliteration of their
name to use for legal purposes (birth certificate, green card, social
security record)?

Everyone should change their legal names to Agent Smith.

Is there a list of the other 20 states with stop-and-identify laws?

The DMV differentiates same-name people by SSN, right?  Is it very
far-fetched to imagine that state courts and federal appeals courts will
uphold state laws requiring SSN disclosure for identification purposes?
After all, the Supreme Court didn't rule this way for fun; they ruled this
way because they think that citizen have a duty to reveal their identity
to police.  If a name isn't enough to do so, I would think a SSN would be
required.

Maybe the 9th circuit will be safe from mandatory SSN disclosure during
Terry stops, but I doubt any other circuits will be.  The Supremes can't
want to hear another case of this sort in the near future.  They just
cranked up the temperature; if they crank it up again too soon the frogs
may notice they're about to boil.

--
"Once you knew, you'd claim her, and I didn't want that."
"Not your decision to make."