Linksys WRT54G (and clones)

Bill Stewart bill.stewart at pobox.com
Sun Jun 20 18:52:56 PDT 2004

At 03:24 AM 6/20/2004, Gabriel Rocha wrote:
>I don't know what you have in mind, but I'm all for it.
>If this thing becomes a vpn endpoint that helps me out some,
>though the 200mhz proc might not handle as much as I'd like...

200 MHz ought to be plenty for a typical home connection.
The FreeSWAN folks found that a 150 MHz Pentium Doorstop was
enough to keep a T1 line busy with 3DES - presumably AES is much faster.
So either one should be good enough for most US DSL or cable modem
connections, and they'll at least handle an 802.11b 2 MHz channel
(yeah, the stuff says 10 Mbps, but you either need 802.11g or .11a or
really good tuning to actually get that), and they'll probably go faster.

----
Bill Stewart  bill.stewart at pobox.com