Linksys WRT54G (and clones)

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Sun Jun 20 03:45:14 PDT 2004

On Sun, Jun 20, 2004 at 06:24:35AM -0400, Gabriel Rocha wrote:
> 		On Jun 20 2004, Eugen Leitl wrote:
> | Anyone here using that device? With Sveasoft's firmware? Building the
> | firmware yourself, or using VPNs/IPsec?
>
> I have one here at work. Works wonders. I didn't build it myself though.
> I actually paid the subscription too. The $20 seemed worthile to me. I

Yes, I thought that as well, and bought the subscription for a year. I'm very
pleased with what I've seen so far, and intend to prolong it.

> don't see anywhere in this thing that allows me to make it a vpn
> endpoint, but I do have ipsec passthrough enabled and it works fine.

Alchemy (the next bleeding edge after Satori) is supposed to have IPsec.
It would be very good indeed to have opportunistic IPsec in there.

WRT54GS is about to be released in the EU as well, and with twice the flash
and the RAM it should have space for some interesting functionality.

> | Sveasoft's forums contain lots of info, but are difficult to access.
> | If you're looking for same information we could mutually help each other
by
> | starting a Wiki, or using a mailing list (WRT54G at yahoogroups.com is
largely
> | silent on crypto matters).
>
> I don't know what you have in mind, but I'm all for it. If this thing
> becomes a vpn endpoint that helps me out some, though the 200mhz proc
> might not handle as much as I'd like...

The WRT54G clones are largely useful as very cheap Linux boxes with radio,
for individual homes and small scall meshes. They should be able to support a
few VPNs over typical ADSL/cable modem link bitrate, but for more serious
work I'd go with VIA's C5 family (1 GHz fanless, and hardware crypto support
as well as on-die entropy source).