Antipiracy bill targets technology

Sunder sunder at sunder.net
Fri Jun 18 16:55:43 PDT 2004

On Fri, 18 Jun 2004, R. A. Hettinga wrote:

> <http://news.com.com/2102-1028_3-5238140.html?tag=st.util.print>
>
> CNET News
>
>  Antipiracy bill targets technology

> A forthcoming bill in the U.S. Senate would, if passed, dramatically
> reshape copyright law by prohibiting file-trading networks and some
> consumer electronics devices on the grounds that they could be used for
> unlawful purposes.

What was that old saw that went "Well, you're equipped to be a whore, but
you're not?" again?  how about banning chainsaws, they can kill or main
people too and yes, cars, and trains, and airplanes, plastic shopping bags
without holes, belts, rope, wire, electricity, etc. they can all be used
to kill.  all of which is unlawful.

>  The Induce Act stands for "Inducement Devolves into Unlawful Child
> Exploitation Act," a reference to Capitol Hill's frequently stated concern

Um, remind me again, when exactly is it lawful to exploit children?  Oh,
wait, that's right!  When they're in other countries, then, you can make
them work in sweatshops producing Nike's, Levi's, GAP, etc. products...
oh, sorry, I forgot.

>  Foes of the Induce Act said that it would effectively overturn the Supreme
> Court's 1984 decision in the Sony Corp. v. Universal City Studios case,
> often referred to as the "Betamax" lawsuit. In that 5-4 opinion, the
> majority said VCRs were legal to sell because they were "capable of
> substantial noninfringing uses." But the majority stressed that Congress
> had the power to enact a law that would lead to a different outcome.

so how soon before we ban paper and pencil? or keyboards, hands -
because they can hold pencils or type, and eyeballs and ears, because they
can see video and hear music?