The Son of Patriot Act Also Rises

Gregory Hicks ghicks at cadence.com
Mon Jun 14 06:32:25 PDT 2004

Dave:

For IP if you wish...

Regards,
Gregory hicks

>From the Dartmouth list "Security in the News"

http://www.wired.com/news/privacy/0,1848,63800,00.html

Elements of a Justice Department draft legislation known as "Patriot
Act II", widely criticized when news about it was released in 2003, are
making their way into the law books as minor provisions of other
bills.

For example, the Anti-Terrorism Intelligence Tools Improvement Act of
2003 (HR 3179) contains four sections that appeared in the Patriot II
draft, establishing five-year prison terms for anyone who discloses
Patriot Act requests for information made by the FBI (Federal Bureau of
Investigation).

Former Representative Bob Barr (R-Georgia) says the Justice Department
has been asking sympathetic lawmakers to slip elements of Patriot II
into other legislation. Proponents of HR 3179 says the provisions
merely address holes in the original Patriot Act; the Act made it
illegal to disclose FBI Patriot Act searches, but specified no
penalty.

Opponents counter that it strengthens already overly broad search and
seizure powers for the government while denying citizens the right to
petition for a redress of grievances.

Gregory Hicks                        | Principal Systems Engineer
Cadence Design Systems               | Direct:   408.576.3609
555 River Oaks Pkwy M/S 6B1          | Fax:      408.894.3400
San Jose, CA 95134                   | Internet: ghicks at cadence.com

I am perfectly capable of learning from my mistakes.  I will surely
learn a great deal today.

"A democracy is a sheep and two wolves deciding on what to have for
lunch.  Freedom is a well armed sheep contesting the results of the
decision." - Benjamin Franklin

You are subscribed as eugen at leitl.org
To manage your subscription, go to

----- End forwarded message -----