Mexico Atty. General gets microchipped (fwd)

Declan McCullagh declan at well.com
Wed Jul 28 08:17:24 PDT 2004

Just did a Lexis-Nexis search. One early reference is a Washington Times
article on July 27, 1989:
"I don't know that atheists should be considered citizens, nor should
they be considered patriots. This is one nation under God," said
Mr. Bush, as reported in the November issue of American Atheist
magazine.

A LA Times letter to the editor in July 1990:
And what the head of his party, then-Vice President George Bush, told
a Chicago airport press conference in August, 1987: "I don't know that
atheists should be considered as citizens, nor should they be
considered as patriots. This is one nation under God."

A letter to the editor to the Post-Standard (Syracuse) in March 1989:
To President Bush:I understand that you are on tape saying, "I don't
know that atheists should be considered as citizens, nor should they
be considered as patriots. This is one nation under God."

UPI April 1990:
While campaigning in 1987, President Bush was quoted by a reporter for
an Atheist publication as saying, '''I guess I'm pretty weak in the
Atheist community. My belief in God is important to me,''' O'Hair
said. ''He said, and again this is verbatim, 'I don't know if atheists
should be considered citizens. ... This is one nation under God.'''

So there's no definitive reference in the database.

-Declan