No subject

John F. McMullen observer at westnet.com
Mon Jul 26 02:09:11 PDT 2004

<declan at well.com>, Peter Neumann <neumann at csl.sri.com>
Subject: [johnmacsgroup] Cybersecurity: they just don't get it...

FYI
---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: wes_morgan at US.IBM.COM
To: johnmacsgroup at yahoogroups.com

I'm watching CNN's Headline News, and they run a story on security
preparations for this week's Democratic Convention in Boston.  They go
on,
at great length, about the extensive network of cameras--approximately
75
of them, scattered around various Federal buildings and convention
sites--and make it a point to illustrate how the security force, with
their
wireless networks and handheld devices, can grab the feed from any of
these
cameras at the tap of a stylus.

So, they show one such device - with it's 802.11b card clearly
identifiable
- and show another agent viewing a webcam of the Boston Harbor
shoreline -
with the URL of the hosting site clearly readable.  When talking about
the
cameras, they show several different cameras on different buildings,
some
of which seem fairly unusual in their architecture.

I now know that they're using 802.11b, and I know the name at least one
system handling the webcam feeds, and (with a bit of reconaissance) I
can
probably determine the position of at least one camera.

So much for cybersecurity; I can't believe that the Feds even let that
stuff on the air, much less that they did so without obfuscating
critical
information.

*sigh*  What were they thinking?

 "When you come to the fork in the road, take it" - L.P. Berra
   "Always make new mistakes" -- Esther Dyson
   "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from
magic"
    -- Arthur C. Clarke
    "You Gotta Believe" - Frank "Tug" McGraw (1944 - 2004 RIP)

                          John F. McMullen
   johnmac at acm.org johnmac at computer.org johnmac at m-net.arbornet.org
         johnmac at tmail.com johnmac at panix.com johnmac at echonyc.com
           jmcmullen at monroecollege.edu johnmac at alumni.iona.edu
              ICQ: 4368412 Skype, AIM & Yahoo Messenger: johnmac13
                  http://www.westnet.com/~observer

You are subscribed as eugen at leitl.org
To manage your subscription, go to

----- End forwarded message -----