Email tapping by ISPs, forwarder addresses, and crypto proxies

J.A. Terranson measl at mfn.org
Sun Jul 25 11:54:29 PDT 2004

On Sun, 25 Jul 2004, Declan McCullagh wrote:

> On Sun, Jul 18, 2004 at 10:35:19PM -0700, Major Variola (ret) wrote:
> > You don't know about tape robots, or offline indexing, eh?
>
> FYI from a recent trip to the NSA crypto museum:
> http://www.mccullagh.org/image/10d-15/storagetek-automated-cartridge-system.html
> http://www.mccullagh.org/image/10d-15/robot-arm-tape-cartridge.html
>
> I think that was circa 1994 (I'd have to look at the high-res image
> to see the date on the brass plaque to be sure).
>
> -Declan

I've actually worked with slightly more recent tech from the same company.
Note the limited size of the library (300tb), and also note that seek time
to any one sector on any one tape is *incredibly* long.  This is strictly
a near-line bulk solution - useless for anything but permanent archives
with an occasional pull.

--
Yours,

J.A. Terranson
sysadmin at mfn.org
0xBD4A95BF

  "...justice is a duty towards those whom you love and those whom you do
  not.  And people's rights will not be harmed if the opponent speaks out
  about them."      Osama Bin Laden
	- - -

  "There aught to be limits to freedom!"    George Bush
	- - -

Which one scares you more?