Email tapping by ISPs, forwarder addresses, and crypto proxies

Riad S. Wahby rsw at jfet.org
Sat Jul 24 16:44:11 PDT 2004

"Major Variola (ret)" <mv at cdc.gov> wrote:
> Back when the protocols were unprotected... much like the 'net today :-)

Hell, as recently as three years ago the pay phones in Boston could
still be red boxed.  It may actually still be possible---I haven't tried
in a while.  Haven't done it here in Austin, either.

I discovered (probably not the first time it's been discovered, but new
to me anyway) a while ago that the autodial phones in ATMs that connect
you to the bank's Retard Line could be fooled into making phone calls
for free.  You just have to start pulse dialing with the hook before the
autodialer kicks in; if you do it right the dial tone goes away fast
enough that the autodialer never activates. I never tried simply using
my own tone dialer, but it's likely that would also work unless they're
smart enough to mute the mic.

--
Riad S. Wahby
rsw at jfet.org