Email tapping by ISPs, forwarder addresses, and crypto proxies

J.A. Terranson measl at mfn.org
Fri Jul 23 19:47:59 PDT 2004

On Thu, 22 Jul 2004, Major Variola (ret) wrote:

> >Undersea taps are hard.  No matter how you figure it.
>
> You think subs are just toys?

Yes.  Big ass toys for a bunch of boyz without brainz :-)  And remember,
"Ivy Bells" technology won't work here.

That aside, I'm not arguing that it is un-doable, I am arguing that it is
so difficult that it must be reserved for only those "special cases" where
the risk/cost/benefits can all be balanced out (and where there is some
backhaul available).

Attempting to do this on a universal scale, just won't, well, *scale*.
Not yet.  I am looking eagerly towards entangled photons though, just to
be sure we never reach the point of scalability  ;-)

> >The actual intel/counterintel guys make shit for money.
>
> What I meant was, Ames and that FBI dude Hansen (sp?), at least the KGB
> got Ames' wife as part of the package, whereas the FBI CI dude
> let his wife off as part of the deal he cut.  Nice xian that he was, he
> was into strippers.

Aren't we *all* into strippers?

--
Yours,

J.A. Terranson
sysadmin at mfn.org
0xBD4A95BF

  "...justice is a duty towards those whom you love and those whom you do
  not.  And people's rights will not be harmed if the opponent speaks out
  about them."      Osama Bin Laden
	- - -

  "There aught to be limits to freedom!"    George Bush
	- - -

Which one scares you more?