Email tapping by ISPs, forwarder addresses, and crypto proxies

Major Variola (ret) mv at cdc.gov
Wed Jul 21 22:04:50 PDT 2004

At 10:12 PM 7/21/04 -0500, J.A. Terranson wrote:
>On Wed, 21 Jul 2004, Major Variola (ret) wrote:
>>
>> With all due respect, you think Ft. Meade uses the same COTS crap
>> as you are forced to deal with?  Bwah hah hah.
>
>Sorry Major, I'm gonna have to call you on that one.  Yes, they are
>lighting that fiber on COTS.  Likely on Nortel gear, which I can tell
you
>from personal experience requires an incredible amount of power,
cooling,
>and rackspace.

>> Just curious as to the depth of navite in the field....
>
>As we are curious of yours.

Fair 'nuff.  I'm following the Principle of not underestimating the
adversary,
who does plenty of R&D, just look at their tech-transfer program,
multiply
by a few decades in capacity..

Perhaps that grants the Maryland trogdyltes too much, but again,
conservatism
rules in this game.

Remember, "Nortel" is cost-bound.  TLAs are not.  They also get
radioisotope power supplies, etc.  And unpublished tech made in
unknown fabs.

Albeit, "Nortel" (even if Canadian, eh?) etc are 0wn3d by the USG, so
taps through COTS are not so hard, and my "dark fiber" only means the
physical capacity is there.
And of course people are cheaper than tech.  Hell, the counter-intel
folks seem
to be real bargains, whether FBI or CIA.

But if you prefer to believe they play on the same field as us, go
ahead, I'll
still read your posts, and appreciate the questioning.

MV