Email tapping by ISPs, forwarder addresses, and crypto proxies

Tyler Durden camera_lumina at hotmail.com
Wed Jul 21 08:28:10 PDT 2004

Eugen Leitl wrote...

>It's clearly not viable to process much underwater. How much machine room
>square meters do you need at those cable landings, though?

Not that much, if all you need to do is send a spliced copy over to your own
undersea Optical Fiber Amplification node or undersea DWDM OADM.

As for the cable landings, likewise I've never heard anyone mention that
they saw any government equipment at the landings, so I suspect it's
relatively minimal. A the least, it's a splice over to the FDF (THAT they've
seen). At the most, they have a card in the carrier's transport gear where
they've dropped-and-continued some of the traffic.

I guess the question arises as to whether the FBI, for instance, shares it's
network with the NSA.

-TD