Cheap TDR for fibers?

Tyler Durden camera_lumina at hotmail.com
Mon Jul 19 06:57:43 PDT 2004

Telecom-grade laser packages (and the lasers inside them) not only do not
have a monitoring diode, they are designed very carefully to prevent the
kind of feedback you're talking about (it destabilizes the laser and causes
a power penalty).

However, there's no real reason not to be able just to splice into the
fiber. Hell, you don't even need a splice if you have access to the FDF
(Fiber Distributing Frame, or fiber patch panel).

-TD