1984 Comes To Boston (fwd from brian-slashdotnews at hyperreal.org)

Riad S. Wahby rsw at jfet.org
Mon Jul 19 05:13:46 PDT 2004

Eugen Leitl <eugen at leitl.org> wrote:
>    from the panopticonjob dept.
>    walmass writes "In preparation for the DNC in Boston, [1]75 cameras
>    monitored by the Federal government will be operating around the
>    downtown Boston location. There are also an unspecified number of
>    state police cameras, and 100 cameras owned by the Metro Boston
>    Transit Authority. Quote: 'And it's here to stay: Boston police say
>    the 30 or so cameras installed for the convention will be used
>    throughout the city once the event is over. "We own them now," said
>    police Superintendent Robert Dunford. "We're certainly not going to
>    put them in a closet."'"

Maybe it's time to start making those high power IR emitters.  Make them
cheap enough and we can just hand them out to right-minded folk to drop
here and there.

Has anyone seen these cameras?  Are they noticeable?

At least some of them are supposedly on the central artery; your car can
certainly spare 100W or so for some IR blasters...

--
Riad S. Wahby
rsw at jfet.org