Email tapping by ISPs, forwarder addresses, and crypto proxies

J.A. Terranson measl at mfn.org
Sun Jul 18 11:07:10 PDT 2004

On Sun, 18 Jul 2004, Tyler Durden wrote:

> "I think it would be far easier if WAN protocols were plain GBit Ethernet."
>
> WAN won't be 1GbE, but it will probably be 10GbE with SONET framing, or else
> OC-192c POS (ie, PPP-encapsulated HDLC-framed MPLS). In either case, I
> suspect it will be far cheaper in the long run to monitor a big fat pipe
> than to try to break out a zillion lil' tiny DS1s.
>
> -TD

OK, so Tyler [apparently] works in the business :-)

Let me fill in what he left out.  Yes, the industry is moving towards
MPLS over POS.  That's not where it is now though.  At least not for most
interfaces.  Right now the industry is chock full of lagacy gear, mostly
old fashioned ATM.  You think you can just casually reassemble this crap
in transit?  Let's see it!

Besides that old fashioned transport diversity, we have the original
problem: even if you could do it (maybe in three to five years), what are
you going to do with the data you've snarfed?  Backhaul it?  Shove it into
TB cassettes?  Better keep a guy on staff to change the tray!!

None of the many obstacles curretly in the way will allow this to be done
on the QT.  Semi-openly would be another story, as would the scenario of a
smaller, say regional, ISP.

--
Yours,

J.A. Terranson
sysadmin at mfn.org
0xBD4A95BF

  "...justice is a duty towards those whom you love and those whom you do
  not.  And people's rights will not be harmed if the opponent speaks out
  about them."      Osama Bin Laden
	- - -

  "There aught to be limits to freedom!"    George Bush
	- - -

Which one scares you more?