vacuum-safe laptops ?

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Fri Jul 16 03:58:30 PDT 2004

Hard drives won't be able to, you'd need solid state flash disks.
Sustainable operation will dry out lubricant in bearings, so any fans won't
last very long. Any cooling requiring convection won't work, radiative
cooling only. I suppose backlighting should be able to do, don't see how LCDs
will get damaged. If high voltage is sufficiently good insulated, otherwise
it will arc.

It all depends on how hard your vacuum is, of course. And how long you want
to operate the device.

You'd need an old laptop, passively cooled (if it won't foul up your vacuum,
immerse it in silicon oil), outfitted with flash sticks or flash drives.

All of this is an educated guess, of course.

On Fri, Jul 16, 2004 at 06:35:02AM -0400, An Metet wrote:
> Does anyone *know* (first or second hand, I can speculate myself) which
laptops, if any, can safely go to zero air pressure (dropping from 1 atm to 0
in, say, 1 minute.)