All your data belongs to Redmond

Major Variola (ret) mv at cdc.gov
Wed Jul 7 21:17:11 PDT 2004

I am currently working as a security consultant at a major kiretsu
that makes printers/fax/copiers/scanners.  Important eg in
a hospital where HIPAA requires that info not be leaked.
Eg the xerox-tech swaps a drive and gets to look
at the data on it.  Or your accountant is using a wireless laptop
to print your bank numbers.

A program I was working on crashed, and M$'s XP asked me if it
could tell M$ about the "bug".

I looked at the info the "anonymous" message would contain.  It
included the data I was testing with.

Nice.

I sent a note to my boss.

Anyone know if this can be shut off?

[Apologies if this is an old issue.  As an aside, the 3Ghz work machine
with half a Gig of RAM runs no faster than the 333 Mhz 128Meg Win95
PC this is composed on.  When quantum computing chips come out,
if they run M$ OS, they won't run any faster, but the "assistants" will
be more annoying.]

-------
"This is by-design behavior, not a security vulnerability. "
-- Scott Culp, Microsoft Security Response
Center, discussing the hole allowing ILOVEU to
propogate, 5/5/00.