Email tapping by ISPs, forwarder addresses, and crypto proxies

J.A. Terranson measl at mfn.org
Wed Jul 7 12:55:44 PDT 2004

On Wed, 7 Jul 2004, Steve Schear wrote:

> Perhaps, but at a Bay Area meeting a few years back held to discuss
> NSA/SIGINT, I think it was held on the Stanford campus, a developer
> disclosed that an American contractor manufacturer had won a contract to
> install 250,000 high-capacity disk drives at one of these agenicies.
>
> stveve

Lets look at that for a second.

"A few years ago".  Lets call it two years ago.  That would make the
average hi-cap drive around 30gb.  We'll have to assume they want these to
be fault-tolerant and with host stanbys, since this *is* the standard
implementation, so:

	250,000 drives
	divie by 5 to get RAID groups = 50K groups of 90gb each, or
	~4.6 petabytes for this one order.

4.6pb may be a lot, but it wouldn't hold much of the worlds traffic -
there's a hell of a lot of filtering going on.

--
Yours,

J.A. Terranson
sysadmin at mfn.org

  "...justice is a duty towards those whom you love and those whom you do
  not.  And people's rights will not be harmed if the opponent speaks out
  about them."

  Osama Bin Laden