UBL is George Washington

J.A. Terranson measl at mfn.org
Tue Jul 6 16:59:22 PDT 2004

On Tue, 6 Jul 2004, Justin wrote:

> On 2004-07-06T11:28:41-0700, Eric Cordian wrote:
> > Sunder wrote:
> > > Right, WTC as a target doesn't make any strategic sense.
>
> > Doesn't hitting a world financial center impede the funding of imperialism?
>
> Empirically, I don't think so.  Since September 11th, funding to the
> military and security industries have increased substantially through
> DHS and military contracts.  It may be that the only way out is through,
> and that the only way to be free from Western Imperialism is to cause it
> to strangle itself.

Precisely.  They are doing to us what we did to the soviets: they making
us spend ourselves right out of existence.

> In the short term, however, terrorists have not
> succeeded in getting our imperialist policies changed.
>
> 9/11 with Dubya at the helm can have only one result.

Dubya at the helm can have only 1 result.  9/11 was just his cover.

> > If you apply the same standards the US uses to classify dual use
> > infrastructure, and organizations "linked to" the enemy, I think the
> > WTC is pretty high on the target list.
>
> Yep.  Even ignoring specific entities that officed in the WTC, it was an
> effective target.  When a government is in debt 70%+ of the GDP (2002 -
> $10.4T), there's little distinction between private financial targets
> and government targets.

And this was a prime target.  Financial disruption from *just* the tower
collapses was significant across the economy as a whole: lost records,
insurance claims, lawsuits, etc., exacted a very substantial loss against
their enemy.

> > The US bombed water treatment plants, electrical facilities, and
> > bridges in Iraq.  Certainly not military targets either.
>
> Each democratic government likes to flood the logos with the notion that
> it only attacks military targets; it convinces citizens that their
> government is humane, and helps to pacify the non-interventionists.
>
> In practice, intelligence is never accurate.  Hitting only military
> targets, even if that were the goal which is clearly not the case -- is
> not possible.

Nonetheless, the military *does* consider places like WTC to be legitimate
*military* targets.

--
Yours,

J.A. Terranson
sysadmin at mfn.org

  "...justice is a duty towards those whom you love and those whom you do
  not.  And people's rights will not be harmed if the opponent speaks out
  about them."

  Osama Bin Laden