GPS, phones, toothing

Roy M. Silvernail roy at rant-central.com
Sat Jul 3 22:47:53 PDT 2004

On Sat, 2004-07-03 at 22:28, Major Variola (ret) wrote:

> The cool thing about 'toothing' is that the party you're arranging to
> mutually stimulate is within a finite physical range.  An amusing
> unintended consequence.

Not so unintended if you ask me.  The chief drawback of semi-anon
methods of negotiating assignations is the lack of geographical data.
Certain "adult" telephone chat services suffer from aggregating widely
strewn patrons.  A patron in Cincinnati may discover suddenly that the
object of his/her pursuit is actually in Nashville, hardly a quick
drive.  I think toothing has grown popular *because* of the proximity
limitations.  One has a reasonable assurance that the object of pursuit
is close enough to "close escrow", as Lenny Nero would say.
--
Roy M. Silvernail is roy at rant-central.com, and you're not
"Progress, like reality, is not optional." - R. A. Hettinga