Tyler's Education

J.A. Terranson measl at mfn.org
Sat Jul 3 21:57:19 PDT 2004

On Sun, 4 Jul 2004, Dave Emery wrote:

> 	Would you care to comment on any technical or other details ?

I do not have the detailed technical details I would have liked - I did
ask some of these types of questions and received little more
than careful "decline to answer"s.

What I do know is that this type of monitoring is being done on a regular,
although limited scale, in FISA proceedings.  The targets are generally
CRT emissions, and the distance between target and acquisition gear is
under .5 miles - still a shocking range which I was totally unprepared
for.  I engaged one of the operators in a discussion about the tempest
resistant typefaces, and he was unaware of them.  Food for thought...

Interestingly, I have had more than one report of aural acquistion of
typists keystrokes being used to attempt to calculate the content of a
short keysequence (I assume a password is what was meant by "short
keysequence").  These reports indicated "poor, but occasionally lucky
results".  I have also been told that there is a broadcasting keyboard
cable inline device which is in wide use (this is pretty easy to do, but
requires blackbagging - something that was a lot more limited prior to
9/11).

--
Yours,

J.A. Terranson
sysadmin at mfn.org

  "...justice is a duty towards those whom you love and those whom you do
  not.  And people's rights will not be harmed if the opponent speaks out
  about them."

  Osama Bin Laden