For Liars and Loafers, Cellphones Offer an Alibi

bgt bgt at chrootlabs.org
Sat Jul 3 17:23:09 PDT 2004

On Jun 26, 2004, at 23:56, J.A. Terranson wrote:

> On Sat, 26 Jun 2004, Major Variola (ret) wrote:
>
>> Do any models let YOU decide to send your location to ANOTHER
>> phone?
>
> Mine, an Samsung I330 PDA/Phone (actually a rebranded Handspring)
> allows
> you to selectively *disable* non-lea queries.  Based upon this, I do
> not
> believe that the system is broadcast-based, but rather operates solely
> upon a query-response model.
>
>>  Do any models even let YOU know your OWN approx location
>> (to within that 100m Fedfascist standard)?
>
> Mine does not, but I understand that there are models now coming into
> the
> market which do.

I'm a little late to this thread, sorry...

AT&T m-mode models have had this kind of functionality for quite awhile.

http://www.mobileinfo.com/news_2002/Issue25/ATT_Finder.htm

"With a few keystrokes on a wireless phone, a m-mode subscriber is
given the approximate geographic location of his friend, such as a
street intersection. The two friends can then exchange messages,  call
the other, or choose a place to meet from a directory of nearby
restaurants, bars, coffee shops, and bookstores."

I'm pretty sure they don't use GPS for this... I think they do some
form of triangulation from the cell towers.

--bgt